What happens if gonorrhea is left untreated?
Expert Answers (1)
Complications in untreated gonorrhea
The following serious problems can develop in women if a gonorrhea infection is left untreated
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID is when the reproductive organs above the cervix (i.e. fallopian tubes and ovaries) develop an infection. PID can cause a woman to have pregnancy problems, pelvic pain and can even lead to infertility. It is important to treat gonorrhea because in some women the symptoms of PID go unnoticed and can lead to irreparable damage.
- Infection to other parts of the body, like the blood, joints, or heart.
- Increased risk of contracting or spreading HIV.
- I have a doubt about gonorrhea
- What is the risk for std?
- What kind of testing for gonorrhea?
- Pregnancy problems with gonorrhea
- Untreated gonorrhea?
- Antibiotic treatments for gonorrhea