What are the signs and symptoms for melanoma?
Signs and symptoms of melanoma
Nearly all moles (nevi) are harmless skin tumors that develop from melanocytes. Moles become worrisome only if they begin to change shape. Melanoma often forms on the chest and back on men, and legs on women. However, melanoma can occur on any part of the body.
Worrisome or atypical changes in moles include the following:
- An old mole begins to change in shape or color
- Shape of a mole is asymmetrical
- Border or edge of a mole is irregular
- Mole that has changed and is also itching or red
- Oozing or bleeding of a mole
- Fingernails develop a pigmented stripe